Friday, June 10, 2011

"The Passion"

No, I'm not including a picture. Screw that. It's the whole point.

"It turns out the "this film is TOO HOT for France!!" rumors were invented by Icon, Mel Gibson's production company. In reality, the French were more than happy to be bored while watching Jesus get whipped for six hours."

You know, it's not just that you're bored, it's that you're bored AND EXTREMELY UNCOMFORTABLE. It's like you're *supposed* to love it or there's something wrong with you. I don't want to roll around in and crawl through the passion scenario; that's what Communion is here to symbolize. I don't see anywhere where we're *called* to revel in the passion, so why should I feel bad about a mere movie?? It isn't like Moses brought it to us from the mountaintop, you know? I am allowed to have an opinion even if that is that I loathe it.

And...so I do. From the insistent message of the relics and talismans of Catholicism to the female devil, to the lack of sympathetic characters. Yes, all of them. (You didn't think Cavaziel was Jesus, right? Good, me either.)

You know, if one has a desperate need to see Jesus' story portrayed on screen, it's hard to beat Jesus of Nazareth. Even if you're annoyed by Powell's ethnicity (I'm not but some are) the movie itself is full of human characters - like Peter! - who make you laugh and feel things - John the Baptist is AMAZING, if too brief. Right down to pegging the "Eli eli lama sabach thani" on the cross as quoting scripture, not admitting defeat. Not everyone knows that even now, for some reason. (Shame in a day when the bible is so free so many aren't familiar with the basics - guess that's how it goes sometimes.) And you don't have to worry about your children seeing it, like the Passion...thing. And you don't have to sit there for hours squirming in your seat, wondering where the hell to look, hoping no one notices you hate it or pretending to like it, praying for it to end. I didn't; I watched it at home and was free to say what I liked, out loud, which got me through the ordeal. But still something to consider when asking the burning question, "Shall I or shall I not watch The Passion?"

3 comments:

  1. I suspected it before.
    Now I KNOW IT...

    Pack shorts and a lot of cotton clothing:
    you're going to hell.

    Send me a post card...
    if you can.

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I invested in a Kevlar vest and a butt plug (to guard against the pineapples).

    Anyway, everyone knows Robert Powell really LOOKS like Jesus. Enjoy this one - hilarious - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d5vDm915SI

    ReplyDelete
  3. SHREDDER ~
    Got stuck in jury duty pool at the downtown courthouse all day! Argghhh! Now I'm so far behind in reading your postings, but hopefully I'll make up some of that lost ground later tonight.

    Yeah, that was a pretty funny clip. Thanks!

    My all-time favorite image of Jesus is this one:

    http://www.endtimemessage.info/hoffman.htm

    That is REALLY what He looked like. Don't ask me how I know that, because I don't know how I know that. I just do.

    I sense that Hofmann was Divinely inspired while painting it. And one of the things I really appreciate about it is that Jesus looks Jewish/Middle Eastern in that picture. I can't stand those paintings where they make Him look like some White, 1970s Surfer Dude.

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete